OpenBTS / OpenBSC interaction

246tnt at gmail.com 246tnt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 22:56:59 UTC 2009

> > Something I think could be useful, and would allow a lot of
> > interoperability, would be to have a common HLR/VLR replacement.
> > The Asterisk SIP registry doesn't meet our long-term requirements
> > and so we need to develop one anyway. If we can agree on an
> > interface and an implementation, we could do something here.

> I think I would actually want to have a protocol-compatible HLR, ie using
> the
> standard interfaces that GSM/3GPP use for the HLR - which I doubt is
> something
> that you would want to see :)

After having a quick look at the specs :
- The VLR would stay in each OpenBTS/OpenBSC instance (since it's usually
attached 1:1 to a MSC)
- The common part needed would group HLR/AuC/EIR

If you want 'official' interfaces, that means D interface, F interface & G
interface to implement. Each run over SCCP and there are standardized ways
to transport SCCP over IP.
Most of it seems to be in GSM 09.02 (using ASN.1 notation, enjoy ...)
AFAICS.

The whole VLR & D/F/G MSC side code can obviously be shared by both project
and just expose an very simple internal API.

Sylvain