Low-cost engineer / net-monitor handsets

Mike Haben michael.haben at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 3 06:45:26 UTC 2009

Slightly off-topic, but this may be of use when testing OpenBSC...

Some mobiles made by Pantech have an engineering mode built in -
displays various parameters of the network like LAC, BSIC, ARFCN and
signal-strength (C1 value) of serving and neighbour cells, TMSI assigned
to phone, timing advance etc.  The two models I've played with are:
PG-C3 - very comprehensive data (10 screens of it!), engineer mode
persists when power-cycled, but US tri-band, so does not cover 900MHz band.
PG-C520 - quad-band, but data not so comprehensive (e.g. no timing
advance), engineer mode does not persist

I bought mine from an Ebay shop in the USA:
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Khala-Ki-Dukan__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Both models were < 100 Euro, even with postage from the States and
import tax.  If anyone's interested, email me and I'll post some
screenshots.

Does anyone know of other phones with built-in net-monitor / engineer
functions (other than the old Nokias!)?

Thanks,  Mike H.