[RFC] nanoBTS startup sequence (problems on coldstart)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Nov 20 13:09:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:11:36PM +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> I have one problem with the BTS on cold start. OpenBSC is sending the RSL
> connect, Radio Carrier/Baseband attributes too early and we are receiving
> NACKs from the BTS and the RSL link is never established.
>
> The first question is if others have seen this problem? I have solved the
> problem my moving the OP start/set attributes/RSL connect of the RC and
> Baseband out of the state change code into the "Software Activated Report".

Yes, this is what we had before.  If you look at the revision log, it used to
be this way and worked more reliably.  I already spent way too much time trying
to find out the correct state machine but failed.

> Doing a quick check it seems to still work and solve my cold start problem. Do
> you think this is a legitimate workaround for the problem right now?
>
> In the future we probably should attempt to have a better state machine,
> report errors, retry and such things...

Meanwhile I think it should be sufficient to return to the old code, as it was
working quite reliably for many months.