GPRS branch status update

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 09:16:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

> I've applied a series of fixes and extensions to the GPRS branch, and
> would like to invited interested nanoBTS users to give it another try.

I gave it a go and got to the ACTIVATE PDP CONTEXT with few hacks :

 - Changed gsm48_gmm_authorize to make identity requests if it doesn't
have everything it needs, and call
   it from gsm48_rx_gmm_att_req instead of making identity requests directly.
 - Remove the NM_ATT_IPACC_RLC_CFG_3 attr since my nanoBTS doesn't have EDGE
 - (and of course, set correct IPs in nanobts_attr_nsvc0 & ipac_gprs_send)

The main problem I have currently is that both phones I use (android
magic & iPhone 1G), seem to ignore most of the packets that are sent
back.
So for example, after a GMM ATTACH REQUEST a IDENTITY REQUEST is sent
back, and for the first one, the phone answers, then a second IDENTITY
REQUEST is sent (need both IMSI & IMEI and the phone did the initial
attach request by TMSI ...) and there it's just ignored, no answer.
The phone will just retry the ATTACH REQUEST .

Same thing with RA LOCATION UPDATE, if I send REJECT with
cause=implicit detach, it just retries the RA UPDATE instead of going
to ATTACH REQUEST. And the list goes on, the ACTIVATE PDP CONTEXT
ACCEPT has to be sent 4-5 times before the phone accept it.

Does anyone have a clue what could cause that behavior ?

    Sylvain