question about cell broadcast estimate

Newman, Timothy trnewman at vt.edu
Mon Nov 2 22:17:10 UTC 2009

> p.s.: I would be interested in learning what you're using OpenBSC for at
> Virginia Tech.  If you have a minute to elaborate on that, I'm very curious.
> Other people on the mailing list might share that interest, especially those
> users from academic institutions.  If you prefer to respond privately, that
> would also be OK with me.

Well it's primarily something of interest to the emergency services people around here.  It's much more efficient to use the cell broadcast functions that the hardcoded "send us your cell phone #" emergency notification system they currently have.  So in the end, it's to improve communications for emergency services, plus I'd like to simply get some students in this part of the spec and have a group that's familiar with OpenBSC.  We offer a cellular class and want to integrate openbsc and openbts labs into them.

Tim

Timothy R. Newman, Ph.D.
Wireless @ Virginia Tech
447 Durham Hall