RFC: Establishing logging standards

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Mon Nov 9 03:20:09 UTC 2009

Hey LaForge,

in one way this is a continuation of the thread but there is no real need to
quote anything. I went to ulogd and had a look (and copied the levels), I
looked at what we have and what would be neat and came up with a small
interface right now[1]...

The first thing is the introduction to have a log level. This will allow to set
a global log level or one by subsystem...

The next thing is the concept of a target. We can add multiple targets
(stdout, syslog, file, telnet) and have them be active at the same time (think
of a loop inside the debugp statement). We can have a log level per
target...

The next thing is a "context". On the receive message path we start with
the phsyical connection to the BTS, then with MM or RSL, going to GSM04.08,
and then more protocols. On this path we can add a "context". E.g. we
received this message for this bts, it was this lchan, it was this
subscriber... (and the same for the sending path)

Having the context will allow to have filters. E.g. only show me RSL messages
sent for the LCHAN assigned to SUBSCRIBER with the IMSI:XYZ. I foresee this
useful when trying to debug things with the telnet interface in a real
network.

At this point I would appreciate API feedback to see if it is useful to
continue this way or if another solution is better.

regards

[1] In the holger/new-debug-arch branch