patch: 6_datalink

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat May 23 08:27:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 09:32:41AM +0200, Andreas.Eversberg wrote:

> i don't know if it works with the latest mISDN. have you tested it? if it
> doesn't work, we need to fix it. do you have any idea why it does not work
> with mISDN?

I haven't tested it, but at least in my old patches I never fixed this issue
with the kernel's mISDN.

It's probably worth trying.  But basically, I believe the kernel must be doing
something wrong in any case.

TEI management uses SAPI 63 and TEI 127
OML (for BTS0) uses SAPI 62 and TEI 25
RSL (for TRX0) uses SAPI 0 and TEI 1

If we only look at what OpenBSC does at the moment (before and after your
patch, unchanged):

It calls bind to a sockaddr_mISDN with add.sapi = 0 and addr.tei = 127.
This is simply wrong, since that is the TEI manager's TEI and the SAPI of the
RSL.  However, the code works.  This is what surprised me when first writing
the misdn code inside OpenBSC...

I think the logical choice would be to pass SAPI 63 to the kernel when binding,
but at least the last time I tried this, the kernel rejected that.