Summary of GSM RF Power control

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Fri Jun 19 10:55:16 UTC 2009

Hello Harald,

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:22:22 +0200, "Harald Welte" <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:

> If we once again combine this with our knowledge, i.e.
>
> > BS-11 30mW	15dBm=09
> > BS-11 80mW	19dBm
> > BS-11 250mW	24dBm
> > BS-11 2W	33dBm
> > nanoBTS 900	20dBm
> > nanoBTS 1800	23dBm
>
> And we set the BS power level in channel activation as 0xf (i.e. -30dB),then
> we get something like -15dBm for BS-11/30mW and -10/-7dBm for the nanoBTS.
> That would still be _very_ low.

A few numbers from a measurement:

  nanoBTS 1800, ARCN 840, no voice/data traffic:

  NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R    RF output

    0                    20   dBm
    1                    18   dBm
    2                    16   dBm
    4                    12   dBm
    8                     4.4 dBm
    9                     2.0 dBm
   10                     0.4 dBm
   11                    -1.6 dBm
   12                    -3.6 dBm

The power measurement of my equippment is not calibrated and the
cable I used is not one of the best, so it could cause 3 dB
loss. However one can see the tendency. Values larger than 12
for NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R are not supported, they result in an
error.

I will see if I find some time for measurements with the BS-11.

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de