request for contributio (was Re: AW: measurement report)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jun 18 18:21:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 06:41:15PM +0200, Dieter Spaar wrote:

> > A quick idea without having verified it: You can try to
> > decrease NM_ATT_BS11_RADIO_MEAS_GRAN which is currently set
> > to 254 (0xFE). The unit seems to be "SACCH multiframes" which
> > is about 470 ms. If this attribute and its value means that a
> > report should only be sent about every 120 seconds, it would take
> > quite some time to see the report. However I am not 100% if this
> > attribute really has this meaning.
>
> I verified it, decreasing NM_ATT_BS11_RADIO_MEAS_GRAN to a
> smaller value (I used 5 which means about 2.4 seconds)
> will show the measurement results as expected. The default
> setting of 254 is just too large so that you normally won't
> notice them during testing.

Which brings us to a TODO list item:

All the parameters that both BS-11 and nanoBTS currently initialize from their
own array of attributes should be shared.

I think many of those parameters should simply be part of 'struct gsm_bts' and
configurable from the vty interface.  So rather than puttign them in a static
array, actually have code that
1) can set it from telnet and write it in the gsm_bts struct
2) can read it from gsm_bts struct send the SET ATTRIBUTE message to the BTS.

Maybe somebody on this list who wants to contribute can take care of this
kind of work.  It would mean Holger and myself can continue to work on the
more complex issues... Any help in this area would be appreciated a lot.