Ideas regarding BSC/MSC split up

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Wed Jun 10 14:51:47 UTC 2009

Hey Guys,

some of us started to look into the various 08.0x specs and even SCCP (not me
yet) and I think our common goal is to go towards a more "normal" BSS/MSC and
in the same way keeping the spirit of bsc_hack to allow to run a whole network
with one executable.

A rough split up of BSC vs. MSC would be:

BSC has the secret of:
	- init hardware, bcch, oml/rsl setup
	- paging
	- channel allocation/management

MSC has most of the policies:
	- HLR/VLR and who to allow into the network
	- call handling etc...

To keep this short ('m quite tired at the moment) my goal/approach is to
create a libmsc.a and move the db.c, gsm_subscriber.c and on the way to move
policy out of gsm_04_08.c to the libmsc.a. bsc and msc would communicate with
an API that resembles the DTAP, BSSMAP interface. The MNCC use case Andreas
and Harald are working on should remain supported, same as the bsc_hack.c. The
goal of having an interface like DTAP and BSSMAP is to allow implementing the
A-Interface.

I will start this work in a branch called holger/msc and will seek for
feedback once I have something that is worthwhile to share.

good night
	z.