patch 35: information element transcoding

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jun 10 04:06:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:47:58AM +0200, Andreas.Eversberg wrote:
> this patch will do the transcoding of information elements. this patch
> adds new functions to be used for the application interface patch, and
> is basis for the application patch (currently patch 36). when applying
> the patch, the compiler gives warnings, because the "static" functions
> will not be used. (yet)

All of those functions (as well as quite a bit of other code in your patches)
changes the function return value assumptions.  OpenBSC uses the kernel style
for return values, i.e. '0' on success and negative values on failure.
positive value might indicate a count, if there is something like a return
count given the context of the function.

Also, a number of your functions always return the same value (1).  If
that is not supposed to be changed (because some error checking might still
be missing), I recommend converting them to void.  However, there might also
be incentive to keep all encode_* and decode_* functions have a return value,
making it easier to write code because you know you need to check return
values all the time...

I'm re-working the patch right now