WG: patch 12 14, 15, 16

Andreas.Eversberg Andreas.Eversberg at versatel.de
Wed Jun 3 07:59:11 UTC 2009

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: openbsc-bounces at lists.gnumonks.org [mailto:openbsc-bounces at lists.gnumonks.org] Im Auftrag von Holger Freyther
>I'm not sure what happens to IMSI ATTACHED/DETACHED when doing handover, so
>far the detach path was written in a way that even a sequence like:
>	new BTS ATTACHED
>	old  BTS DETACHED

hi holger,

here is what happens:

BTS(new LAC) ATTACH -> DB = new LAC
BTS(old LAC) DETACH -> DB = 0

the mobile attaches to the new LAC, so the database stores the new LAC number. next, the mobile detaches from the old LAC and the database stores 0 for 'not attached'. the database now holds a wrong value.

to solve this, we may only allow detach, if the mobile is not already attached to a different location area:

if (DB == old LAC) then  DB = 0  else  ignore!

so the mobile can only detach from a BTS with the location it is currently attached.

i checked the code yesterday. i saw that the subscriber is associated to a LAC and a bts when attaching. when detaching, the association to the bts is removed, if not already attached to a different one.

is this correct? as far as i know, the attached subscriber is associated to a LAC only. it may silently change the BTS without location update, if the MCC/MNC/LAC is equal on this BTS. when we page a mobile, we must do it on all BTS of that location area, as far as i know. (see patch 27) if the mobile requests a channel, it chooses one of the BTS. i think we must remove the "current_bts" pointer from the subscriber structure.

andreas