GSM license approval for HAR2009

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Wed Jul 22 19:58:00 UTC 2009

Hello Stefan,

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:36:16 +0200, "Stefan Schmidt" <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:

> Hmm, if we would calculate with 200 cards we would have ~80 USD costs for them.
> Maybe not the baddest thing. Let's wait to what conclusion we come here before
> going ahead. A technical solution that let the user handle the registration on
> it's own is still my favorit. Sadly we can't estimate how many subscribers we
> will get. :)

I don't know if you get a better price if you buy such a large amount of
the SIM cards, but I would ask.

One advantage of handing out SIM cards: You can play with authentication
and encryption if you want to. The A3/A8 algorithm in the SIM cards seems
to be different from COMP128-V1 (at least with the SIM I tested) so you
cannot retrieve Ki. However you could run the authentication in advance
and record a few challenge-reponse pairs and use them later.

And if you take one Euro as deposit for the SIM, you might get them
back or don't care if not.

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de