GSM license approval for HAR2009

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Wed Jul 22 16:22:57 UTC 2009

Harald -

Congratulations on the license.

One thing we plan do at Burning Man is run an auto-provisioning
system via SMS, using the BTS itself as a SIM reader.  When a handset
first tries to register, we will accept the location updating attempt
and then send a text message saying "If you want experimental
service, please reply with your telephone number."  The reply to the
text message then goes into a function that creates a new entry in
the provisioning database based on the originating IMSI and the
content of the message.  Then we will respond with something like
"Thanks for joining our test.  This is an experimental network.  WE
DO NOT SUPPORT EMERGENCY CALLS.  To quit the test, reply to this
message."  In the US, at least, the part about emergency calls is
really important.

I realize you don't have a lot of time left to get ready for HAR,
though.  This may or may not be a simple hack, depending on the state
of your SMS software.  But if it works, it will be a lot faster than
provisioning phone by hand.

-- David

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.