OpenBSC with 2.5G or 3G mobile devices support? / Tested Phones

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Tue Jul 7 17:17:15 UTC 2009

Hello Nordin,

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:31:36 +0200, "Nordin" <bouchtaoui at gmail.com> wrote:

> But this means that your HTC needs more relevant GPRS settings before
> deciding to register. So it than searches for altenatives, but since the
> BA list is empty it starts all over again and the whole process repeats,
> which might result in a long procedure before it gives up. This is what
> it might could be the reason, I'm not sure.

If the GPRS Indicator is set, SYSTEM INFORMATION 13 is needed to
describe the GPRS properties. But SYSTEM INFORMATION 13 is not set
yet (not possible for the BS-11 anyway) so the phone won't find it.
Probably some phones don't care about it but some others insist to
find it before going to register.

This is probably one of the many places where there is no rule in
the specification what should be done in such a situation so its
up to the developer of the firmware (the phone could register and
return an error only when GPRS is actually needed for a data
connection). Of course I don't mean that the specification is
incomplete, it just expects that certain things are done "right"
(who would expect that people outside of the mobile phone industry
play with a BTS ;-).

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de