software load via A-bis

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Feb 2 23:46:35 UTC 2009

Hi!

JFYI: Software load through the A-bis / E1 interface is only marginally
faster than through the serisal RS232 line.

The theoretical maximum speed is the 64kbps of the E1 timeslot, which should give quite a bit of improvement over the 19200bps serial line.

However, the BS-11 is throttling down the transver even via A-bis.  I have
tried to increase the window size to 20 (LMT has a max of 8. I tried up to 32
but then the transfer fails)

The speed that I'm getting now is somewhere around 1232 bytes per second, which
is about 9656bps.  Do they use a 9600bps serial line somewhere inside the
BS-11 to route those software updates through?

I haven't finished an entire transfer, but it seems like the transfer would
take some 36 minutes using this method.  Not too far off the 45minutes
that we get with LMT or bs11_config.

I guess "in the field" this doesn't really matter since they can install
the software image while the BTS is still in operation, and then at some
point schedule a reboot which activates the new software.

p.s.: yes, I removed all delays (usleep calls) from misdn.c before testing.