SMS status

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Fri Dec 25 04:34:48 UTC 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009 17:08:41 Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a little report on the SMS status:

>  * In MO transfers, the channel should be closed after the reception of
> CP-ACK, _unless_ a CM SERVICE REQUEST was sent just before on the channel.
> Currently the channel is just not closed AFAICT and it times out some time
> afterwards.

This will be all better next year...

>  * Double RF Channel Release : Here's the log of the end of a typical SMS
> transfer (MO in this case but MT has a similar problem) :

Interesting. Your approach seemed to be fine. The RF Channel Release contains
the SAPI that was released. So we should release SAPI=0 and SAPI=3 when we get
this command. The question is who should release SAPI=3 in the MT case (where
OpenBSC will establish this)?

So we should only free the radio resource and set the chan mode to NONE if all
SAPIs has been released.

> I need to read the spec and see what happens on a commercial network to
> understand better what should be done because I'm obviously missing
> something ...

maybe I can help later this year. But in a real network the MSC is most likely
to just say drop your radio resources and then all SAPIs will be deallocated
and the channel will be closed.

regards
	holger