RRLP / ephemeris data

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 22 20:02:46 UTC 2009

Dear Daniel and Jan,

you have been working very closely with and on the u-blox GPS receiver
during your work on the Openmoko GTA02.

As far as I know, it is possible to obtain the ephemeris data from a u-blox
receiver.

I would like to see some code that obtains and converts that ephemeris data
into the format described by the RRLP protocol specification.  I know this
involves asn.1 PER ugliness, but this can all be done well outside the OpenBSC
codebase.

What I'll propose is to simply use some pattern matching to determine the RRLP
request for assistance data, and if such a request exists, open some file in
the filesystem and send the contents binary as-is to the phone in response.

Any responses from the phone are already stored in the database anyway.

In case any of you are interested in working on something to generate the
required ephemeris data and have time before or even at the 26C3, you can
simply give me the resulting binary file, I can drop it into the OpenBSC
directory and we'll see what happens.

If this doesn't happen right now, it doesn't matter all that much, as the 26C3
is an indoor event and I don't think we'll be getting that many GPS fixes
in such an environment anyway.  But eventually, for the next outdoor test,
and to do some more RRLP security research, the ephemeris data formatter
would be really great!

Cheers,