Issues on initial setup with BS-11

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Fri Dec 4 23:12:14 UTC 2009

Interesting observation on the nanoBTS because I have definitely seen
it used that way.  I am fairly certain that the CellXion DX/GX
systems, marketed by Datong and at the heart of the MMI v. CellXion
lawsuit, were based on the IP Access nanoBTS.  Even if I'm wrong on
that particular model, I am sure that I have seen IP Access equipment
used in that configuration.

That was a few years ago, though.  Is it possible that IP Access
changed their firmware at some point to make IMSI-catching more
difficult?

On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Harald Welte wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 01:07:56AM -0800, David A. Burgess wrote:
>
>> I don't know if that's valid by the spec or not, but it's part of a
>> pretty standard configuration in IMSI-catchers: CCCH+SDCCH4 +
>> 6*SDCCH8 + TCH/F.  That maximizes location updating capacity and
>> leaves one TCH/F for other ... mischief.  Most of those
>> IMSI-catchers are based on commercial mini/nano-BTS equipment.
>
> Unfortunately that combination is not supported by either the BS-11
> nor the
> ip.access nanoBTS.  Maybe they have a special BTS firmware image
> for the
> nanoBTS to do that...
>
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://
> laforge.gnumonks.org/
> ======
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                   (ETSI EN 300
> 175-7 Ch. A6)

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.