I can only make one call!

Mike mikeh at hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Aug 24 15:05:43 UTC 2009

Hi all,
   first let me say what a hugely impressive achievement OpenBSC is - I was AMAZED to be able to get a test network up and running within a day, and make a call from one handset to another!

A slight problem though - I can only make ONE call.  After that, I get "CHANNEL ACTIVATE NACK  CAUSE=0x30(Transcoding not available)" if I try to make another call, or even if I just switch off a
handset.  I'm using an IpAccess nanoBTS - is it likely that this is an IpAccess-specific issue?  I thought initially that it might be to do with subscriber use_count - once a call has been set up, the
called party has subscr->use_count one greater than the calling party, and when the call ends the called party finishes up with use_count = 1, but I added a call to subscr_put in gsm_rr_rx_pag_resp
which cured the use_count issue and the one-call-only problem persisted.  I've attached a log of the debug messages with annotations of what actions were happening, may be of use.

I'm still at an early stage in understanding the OpenBSC code, but in time I hope to be able to contribute some patches...

Thanks,  Mike Haben

The information contained in this message (and any attachments) may
be confidential and is intended for the sole use of the named addressee.
Access, copying, alteration or re-use of the e-mail by anyone other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient please advise the sender immediately by returning the e-mail
and deleting it from your system.

This information may be exempt from disclosure under Freedom Of Information
Act 2000 and may be subject to exemption under other UK information
legislation. Refer disclosure requests to the Information Officer.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.