UMA a possibility in the future?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Aug 3 10:59:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:54:17AM +0200, Johannes Schmitz wrote:
> >functional split, A-interface, A3/A5/A8 support, ...  so it's not
> >like we're
> I am thinking for some time now how this could be done. What i have
> seen so far, is that A5 is open to the public so implementing it is
> no problem. But A3/8 is secret so what is you idea of implementing
> it? Since it is inside the SIM I don't see how it could be replaced.

A5/2 and A5/1 is implemented in both BS-11 and the nanoBTS.  You do not
need to know anything about it.  You just set the "encrption information" IE
when activating or modifying the channel from the BSC side, that's it.

A3/A8 is either proprietary by the operator, or comp128v2 or v3 (both are
officially closed, but it's safe to assume them to be known).

As Dieter has indicated in earlier mails, you can get SIM's that have comp128v1
or XOR as A3/A8 and which allow you to set the Ki of the SIM.  With those
SIM's, or an emulated SIM you can test any implementation of encryption for
OpenBSC, once it has been done.