wireshark, viewing Abis communication

Nordin bouchtaoui at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:50:18 UTC 2009

> if you patched and compiled it yourself, then it is 'provided' with my patches.
> If you do something else, then please be very clear in your e-mails, as I
> really don't want to spend time trying to figure out what kind of problems
> there are with decoding your packets - when in fact there are none.  There are
> more efficient ways how I can spend my time.  No offence taken, but please keep
> this in mind for the future.

No problem, now I'm sure it's because of missing patches.

> please note that this would mean that you yourself are using the same MCC/MNC
> of an existing commercial network.  I can only state my utmost concern about
> this.  Do not interfere with actual GSM networks without the permission/knowledge
> of that very operator!  In most countries interference with public
> telecommunications services is quite significant offence.

I'm aware of that. But still, it would be nice to have a BA list, it
makes OpenBSC more complete.

>> For me it's more important to learn understanding the GSM technique,
>> how to read a documentation, how to program in Linux, how to
>> develope with a community, how to use git, how to analyze data
>> packets using Wireshark and tcpdump, how to create a project with
>> Autotools, etc... :)
>>

>> I'm undergoing a transformation from Windows developer to Linux
>> developer. I'm like Jetfire from Transformer II, leaving the
>> Decepticons for becoming an Autobot :p
>>

> you don't really need all of that, at least with the nanoBTS:  Dieter is
> running OpenBSC happily on Windows.  Still, the open source experience /
> learning curve remains - it's just no longer related to Linux itself.

Shouldn't you be proud to have a new Linux member/user/developer :)
If Dieter has a Windows variant of OpenBSC, it would be great. For me
now, it's still much easier to debug in windows than in Linux, because
I'm not yet comfortable with gdb in comman-line.

> I would love to have documentation.  But as we can see by those examples, it
> is not a strict requirements.  By implementing it anyway, even without public
> documentation we basicall say: Your security by obscurity or "keep the
> competition away by obscurity" kind of model does not work. Next time you might
> disclose the documentation right from the beginning.

In a certain way I agree with you, but you can also see it this way: If
a magician shows you how he did the trick, the trick won't be special
anymore.

> Even on Windows you can take wireshark sources, patch them and compile them!

I'll check that out.