BS-11 clock accuracy

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Thu Apr 23 21:37:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

I think I finally found a way to measure the frequency of the
BS-11 in a reliable way. My BS-11 is accurate to within 0.1 ppm
if the oscillator is set to "Standalone Mode". If the oscillator
is locked to the E1 clock of the HFC-E1 card and the HFC-E1 card
is generating the clock, the frequency of the BS-11 drifts more
than +/-1 ppm in about one minute.

I did just a short test, but this results fits to the previous
observations (remember, an old Nokia phone was not able to see
the official networks and the test network at the same time if
the frequency of the test network is off by more than 1 ppm).

Of course I don't know how good the calibration of the other
BS-11 units is, but setting the oscillator to "Standalone Mode"
surely is better than using the HFC-E1 card for synchronisation
(if the HFC-E1 card is not synchronized to the official ISDN
network clock as Andreas suggested).

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de