[op25-dev] rx.py progress

John Ackermann N8UR jra@febo.com [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jul 2 15:15:35 UTC 2017

So, first: I'm quite convinced there is something broken in building the
components using the build-gnuradio script.  Something in incompatible
between the gnuradio, gr-osmosdr, and rtlsdr repositories (and/or my
computer and/or Linux Mint 18.1 and/or the RTL-SDR.com dongle).

So this time I did it with Max's install.sh in the latest commit, and
after installing the needed packages (build-essentials, swig,
python-numeric, and gnuplot-x11) got a successful build, and have the
rx.py app running -- I think.

The problem is, I can't tell if anything's happening.  The main window
has a single line at the top showing NAC, WACN, SYUSID, tsbks and a
single line at the bottom showing the frequency.  The NAC value appears
to be read from the trunk.tsv file.  Neither has changed since I started
the program several minutes ago.

The stderr.2 output shows a "set trunk_cc to 853600000" command about
every 6 to 7 seconds, but nothing else.  The audio pipe is running but I
haven't heard a peep.  Sunday morning is quiet, but it shouldn't be
*this* quiet!

I've tried running the plot modes (including the undocumented 'fft') but
none of them indicate any organized data -- the constellation is just
noise, the fft shows a spectrum but without the control channel (most of
the time), and the symbol display is just noise.  All the plots throw
various errors into the stderr.2 file.

I've had this RTL-SDR.com dongle working with the old version of op25,
on a difference computer, and I know that I have a very strong control
channel signal available.  So I don't think there's an RF issue.
I also tried using a hackrf on this box and had the same results.  In
each case, the initialization seems to go fine, with the frequency,
gain, and sample rate being set without error.

I'm just not sure what to do next...

Thanks,
John