Open5GS Traffic Accounting

Spencer Sevilla sevilla at cs.washington.edu
Wed Mar 11 16:39:37 UTC 2020

+1 to Harald. Doing traffic accounting at the PGW and then reporting these statistics over Diameter is probably the most architecturally correct way to do this. I'm definitely a fan of using IPTables for this kind of stuff, since it’s all just packets anyways.

For our networks, we wrote a completely separate tool called haulage (https://github.com/uw-ictd/haulage) that uses IPTables and does something very similar. Basically logs packets that are forwarded from the virtual interface, draws them down against a user’s prepaid quota, and cuts them off when they hit zero. We wrote this as a separate app (in go) mainly to keep things simpler and let us move faster.

Spencer