Using the DECT stack in PP mode

Matthew Hess matthew.n.hess at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:03:48 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I would appreciate it if you could post this question to the linux-dect
mailing list.

I've been playing with the Osmocom DECT stack for a while now, trying to
make it work in PP mode against a base station I've got. My goal right now
is just to be able to run the pp-location-update example in libdect. So
far, I've managed to compile, run and configure everything (I'm using the
COA PCI card).
dect-llme-scan shows my base station, and it has the
"location_registration" higher layer capability.
However, running the pp-location-update example results in the following
output:
"FP does not support location registration".
The debug output from the kernel shows the following (apparently)
interesting things:
1. "incomplete:SARI" is repeated a few times.
2. After a while, "timeout"
3. This repeats forever, with lots of seemingly "redundant" (and
uninteresting) debug output in between.

I'm guessing that the MAC layer doesn't want to lock on to the base station
for some reason.
I found the code that does this in mac_csf.c, but I'm clueless as to what I
can actually do about it.
I wonder if you could help me with this somehow. Perhaps you could point me
to the right direction as to what could be changed in order for this to
work? Or why does the stack not lock onto the base station?

The base station does work with commercial DECT PPs, so some changes to the
mac_csf code should probably make it work. I'm pretty good at playing with
kernel code, I'm just not sure what is the right thing to do.

I appreciate the help.
Matt Hess