[bbs-revival] Hi!

David Lutz kpanic at dostalgie.de
Tue Jun 1 19:38:03 UTC 2021

Hi!

Has anyone tried fiddling around with sl-modemd yet?

(https://web.archive.org/web/20071014010737/http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
<https://web.archive.org/web/20071014010737/http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/>)

I know, it's not free and uses binary blobs for the DSP part, but it's a
full-fledged V.90 softmodem.

Theoretically shouldn't it be possible to modify the sources to not use
ALSA for communicating with the AC97 "modem" hardware but to use an
Asterisk channel instead?

I have fiddled around with asterisk-softmodem for quite some time now,
(that's how I stumbled upon this mailing list while googling) and just
can't get it to work properly.

My intentions were the same, being able to provide a couple of analog
phone lines on vintage computing events for dialup to BBSes or PPP
Internet access. I was pleased to find someone else apparently had the
same idea :)

Regards

David Lutz

(Twitter: @kpanic)