Storing calibration values in EEPROM

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:27:23 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've pushed an update to git to store some LMS6002D calibration values
in UmTRX's EEPROM. The idea is to  perform calibration once and do not
worry about it anymore no matter what PC you connect UmTRX to.

Intro
====

Right now we have the following values which could be stored in EEPROM:
 * tx-vga1-dc-i - DC offset calibration value for LMS6002D Tx I channel
 * tx-vga1-dc-q - DC offset calibration value for LMS6002D Tx I channel
 * tcxo-dac - TCXO calibration value

Now, when the framework for UmTRX EEPROM is in place, we could store
more values there as we see the need. E.g. we may want to store Rx DC
offset calibration values or power limits of this exact units to be
used by OpenBTS.

The only limitation here is the size of the EEPROM. EEPROM is only 256
bytes large and some of them are already used, so we have about 200
bytes to use. With the strong dependency of calibration values on
temperature and frequency, we might need a two-dimensional array for
each value. In this case we may want to move those calibration values
to flash instead of EEPROM. This would need some more work and thus is
in our wish-list for now.

Writing values
===========

You could write values mentioned above to EEPROM as any other EEPROM value:
  ./host/build/utils/usrp_burn_mb_eeprom --key <name> --val <dec_val>
  (from the root of your UHD source tree)

Reading values
=============

You could read individual values from EEPROM as any other EEPROM value:
  ./host/build/utils/usrp_burn_mb_eeprom --key <name> --val <dec_val>
  (from the root of your UHD source tree)

Or you could use `uhd_usrp_probe` to see them all at once at the
top-level section:

 /
|       Device: UmTRX Device
|     _____________________________________________________
|    /
|   |       Mboard: UMTRX-REV0
|   |   hardware: 64000
|   |   mac-addr: 00:50:c2:85:3f:ff
|   |   ip-addr: 192.168.10.4
|   |   gpsdo: none
|   |   serial: 1
|   |   tx-vga1-dc-i: 114
|   |   tx-vga1-dc-q: 138
|   |   tcxo-dac: 2022
|   |
|   |   Time sources: none, external, _external_, mimo
|   |   Clock sources: internal, external, mimo
|   |   Sensors: ref_locked
|   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |    /
|   |   |       RX DSP: 0
|   |   |   Freq range: -6.500 to 6.500 Mhz
|   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |    /
|   |   |       RX DSP: 1
|   |   |   Freq range: -6.500 to 6.500 Mhz
|   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |    /
|   |   |       RX Dboard: A
|   |   |   ID: LMS RX (0xfa09)
|   |   |   Serial: 1
|   |   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |   |    /
|   |   |   |       RX Subdev: 0
|   |   |   |   Name: LMS RX (0xfa09) - 0
|   |   |   |   Antennas: RX0, RX1, RX2, RX3, CAL
|   |   |   |   Sensors:
|   |   |   |   Freq range: 232.500 to 3720.000 Mhz
|   |   |   |   Gain range VGA2: 0.0 to 30.0 step 3.0 dB
|   |   |   |   Connection Type: IQ
|   |   |   |   Uses LO offset: No
|   |   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |   |    /
|   |   |   |       RX Codec: A
|   |   |   |   Name: LMS_RX
|   |   |   |   Gain Elements: None
|   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |    /
|   |   |       TX DSP: 0
|   |   |   Freq range: -32.500 to 32.500 Mhz
|   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |    /
|   |   |       TX Dboard: A
|   |   |   ID: LMS TX (0xfa07)
|   |   |   Serial: 1
|   |   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |   |    /
|   |   |   |       TX Subdev: 0
|   |   |   |   Name: LMS TX (0xfa07) - 0
|   |   |   |   Antennas: TX0, TX1, TX2, CAL
|   |   |   |   Sensors:
|   |   |   |   Freq range: 232.500 to 3720.000 Mhz
|   |   |   |   Gain range VGA: -35.0 to 21.0 step 1.0 dB
|   |   |   |   Connection Type: IQ
|   |   |   |   Uses LO offset: No
|   |   |   |       TX Codec: A
|   |   |   |   Name: LMS_TX
|   |   |   |   Gain Elements: None

PS I've added this text to the wiki for future reference:
https://code.google.com/p/umtrx/wiki/UmTRXCalibration

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио