UmTRX Digest, Vol 4, Issue 45

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 04:28:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Darby <darbysgoodies at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No reason except the fact I don't like noisy fans. :)
>>
>> Seriously speaking - it's just easier to find a case without a fan
>> from what I see. But if someone find or design a good case with a fan
>> - we'll use it.
>
> lol   I hear ya, Im just thinking with that seemingly minimal amount
> of heat (that many BTU's this would raise the temp of a us gal of
> water by 8.2f, or a liter of water by ~17c), it shouldent really make
> too much of a difference to have a rectangular case thats enclosed &
> has a few holes punched in it...

Sorry, I misread your e-mail yesterday - I thought you're asking why
we don't use a case _with_ a fan.

The only issue with passive cooling is that we need to make a good
contact between UmTRX and a case. And this requires careful selection
of a proper case and design of mounting. Again - if you or someone
else want to take on this task - we'd be happy use it.

> To my knowledge, theres no special cooling considerations taken into
> account for any of the USRP's?

Not sure I understand the question.

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио