DC Offset vs temperature

Srdjan Milenkovic s.milenkovic at limemicro.com
Sat Jul 28 10:33:28 UTC 2012

Hi Alexander,

I understand. It is the same with WCDMA and other FDD modulation
standards, BTS can not stop transmitting/receiving. However, we can not
expect temperature to change from -40 to +85 deg C without doing
anything about it.

LMS is quite robust regarding temperature change. For example, PLL will
stay locked within +/-20 deg C from the tuning point.

The graph below shows DC/LO leakage calibration stability vs
temperature. Applications based on OFDM (LTE, WiMAX for example) do not
need to wary about DC/LO leakage recalibration as DC OFDM carrier is not
used. Other modulation schemes will have to take care of this. If we
define the spec of -60dBc LO leakage, the graph below shows that LMS IC
is OK within +/-10 deg C offset from the calibration point.

BTW, you do not need UmTRXv3 at the moment. You can build a small board
with temperature sensor alone and interface it back to BB/FPGA.

Best regards, Srdjan

Dr Srdjan Milenkovic