Improving LMS6002 phase noise

Srdjan Milenkovic s.milenkovic at limemicro.com
Mon Jul 23 09:30:32 UTC 2012

Hi Andrey,

Below is the loop filter for 100kHz loop bandwidth, 26MHz reference
clock, 400uA charge pump current. It has been tested and should give you
around -90dBc/Hz plateau.

C1 	R2 	C2 	R3 	C3

9.01E-11 	2.46E+03 	1.42E-09 	3280.93 	2.56E-11

Loop filter components for 10kHz bandwidth, 26MHz reference clock, 400uA
charge pump current are below:

C1 	R2 	C2 	R3 	C3

9.01E-09 	2.46E+02 	1.42E-07 	328.09 	2.56E-09

There should not be any issue with loop stability even with 10kHz
filter. However, PLL settling time is increased so you have to slow down
VCOCAP auto-tune.

I would recommend to use 100kHz filter.

Regards, Srdjan