LMS TxLO noise

Andrey Sviyazov andrey.sviyazov at fairwaves.ru
Fri Jul 20 17:14:00 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas.

I couldn't wait your reply and start to implement 10kHz BW of PLL.
You can find here two pictures with results.
First of all I found that PLL tuning algorithm doesn't work properly at low
PLL BW.
VCOCAP register (r0x19) should contain higher value at least for +3 units
(to make CAP lower), otherwise freq's above 950MHz never locked.
Note, that you should read and change register 0x19 after autotuning.
Second, you can see some noise difference for the 925MHz because of used
DIV=8 of  the VCO, instead of DIV=4 for 942 and 960MHz.
Third, you can see PLL noice dependance with the charge pump current
(r0x16).

On the other two pictures you can find which components have to be changed.
Thomas, please make one more measure of LO noise and jitter at PLL BW=10kHz
by your instrument.
We need to know, is it real to reach modulation accuracy of 1.5 degrees RMS
or impossible, just because of LMS PLL have bigger jitter.

Best regards,
Andrey Sviyazov.