UmTRX prototypes cost

Jean-Samuel Najnudel - BJT PARTNERS SARL jsn at bjtpartners.com
Sun Jul 15 15:08:54 UTC 2012

Hi Alexander,

Total cost for production is approximately 10000 Euros for 20 units,
including about 1000 Euros Non Recuring Costs. Approximate unit cost for
sample batches (6 and 14 units each) is a bit bellow 500 Euros.

If we do not need to change the PCB, unit cost will be around 440 Euros for
20 units batches.

If we make 50 or 100 units batches, cost could be a bit lower but not that
much.

We could expect to save on the TCD-4029-26.0M. Today, we pay it about 15
Euros because of our low volume. For 50 or 100 units, we could buy this
part directly from Pletronics and save about 5 or 6 Euros per unit.

We could also save on the PCB. For 20 units, cost is 32 Euros but we could
expect to save 5 to 10 Euros on it.

On all other components, we could expect something like about 10 to 15
Euros extra savings.

For 50 units batches instead of 20 units, we could also save about 4 Euros
per board on the cost the fab charges for loading the assembly machines.

For 50 units batches, we could achieve a unit production cost at 500 USD.

Anyway, please find enclosed a few details about our production costs. You
can see fab costs are quite reasonable expecially for our low and medium
volumes. This cost structure is really convenient to make our samples and
gradually ramp up our production volumes. In case we reach much higher
volumes in the future, I am quite confident we could bargain a bit more the
fab costs and certainly also save a bit more on the components sourcing
costs. Except for the low cost femtocells market, I really believe this
cost structure will allow you to compete on the market in good conditions.

You would need to add the cost of the enclosure, the PSU, the diversity and
selectivity RF daughter board we need to pass the spec and the CPU mother
board we need to run the Transceiver and OpenBTS. You should expect a total
cost around 800 USD excluding the frontend (PA+LNA+duplexers).

For your information, the dual TRX outdoor enclosure frontend with 10 Watts
PA I can get from my Chinese supplier costs 810 USD + shipping.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any extra figures or
information.

Best regards.

Jean-Samuel.
:-)