RFC: Osmocom developer workshop 2012

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Nov 25 08:15:20 UTC 2011

<DISCLAIMER> Please follow-up to openbsc at lists.osmocom.org </DISCLAIMER>

Hi all,

this idea has been around for quite some time, and for 2012 I really
want to turn it into reality:

	I'd like to have a Osmocom developer workshop

The idea here is to get all the active contributors of the project
together for a couple of days (maybe 2-4 days), in order to exchange
ideas, get to know each other better and last but not least work
together on ironing out some of the more difficult issues.

* City:

Regarding the location:  I think for me it is only possible to organize
it if it is to be held in Berlin.  I'mn happy if somebody else wants to
host it at some other location, but then that person would also have to
take care of local organization.  Berlin also has good train and flight
connections, which is definitely a plus.

* Venue:

If it is in Berlin, we might consider talking with c-base or
Raumfahrtagentur as possible venues.

* Date:

Regarding a proposed date, I'm completely open for suggestions.  Of
course there shouldn't be any overlap with other major FOSS or Sescurity
related conferences, and it should also not coincide with major public
holidays, as that only makes travel + accomodation more expensive.

* Funding:

As we don't have that many commercial users of Osmocom projects, getting
funding for e.g. travel / accomodation is probably going to be
difficult.  We can ask the "usual suspects" among those commercial users
we know,, but I guess it will only be possible in exceptional cases to
provide that kind of funding.

Any ideas / comments / feedback is much appreciated.  If somebody has
a particular suggestion.

<DISCLAIMER> Please follow-up to openbsc at lists.osmocom.org </DISCLAIMER>

Cheers,