Fun Cube Dongle Pro internals

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun May 29 16:16:11 UTC 2011

Hi!

For those interested, I've taken apart the case and did some
investigation how the FCDP hardware architecture looks like.

The results are available at
http://tetra.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/Funcube_Dongle

It seems the silicon tuner actually is intended for DVB-T, thus the
bandwidth it can down-convert is _much_ higher.  However, the audio
codec that they use can only do 96kHz.

That's actually really sad.  I wish they had used something with higher
ADC rate.  But it seems like even high-end audio codecs never get you
beyond 196/216 kHz - still insufficient for e.g. GSM.

Regards,
	Harald