identifying tetra

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue Mar 1 09:54:58 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 10:44 AM, Sim IJskes wrote:

> Thanks. I've found a PPA @ <https://launchpad.net/~dreibh/+archive/ppa> it has
> GSMTAP as a protocol.
>
> I still don't have the right architectual image of GSMTAP i think. Do i need
> to direct wireshark to sniff on the same interface that tetra-rx opens its udp
> socket on, with a port filter, or is there a pseudo interface that listens for
> raw packets on the same UDP port?

There is no pseudo interface. The tetra decoding program sends UDP packets to
the IANA assigned port for GSMTAP on the specified ip address. E.g we like to
use multicast addresses as this avoid seeing ICMP messages as the destination
is not reachable.

The easiest would be to use wireshark's pseudo interface to scan every
interface and then filter for udp in the trace and select gsmtap in the
filterbar of wireshark.