platform choices

Sim IJskes sim at ijskes.org
Mon Jan 24 12:12:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

My main activity here would be lurking, but i certainly like to make a
contribution in the future. I've programmed in ASM on several platforms,
C, C++, and nowadays do all of the work in Java.

Most java implementations suffer from non-deterministic timing issues,
so i wonder, would there be any application for java as a platform in
the (osmocom) radio protocols?

I've build a hearing loss simulator in java, which is a streaming audio
pipeline, so java is not completely useless in applications with strict
timing relations. I believe the latency couldn't exceed 50mS which is
huge in TDM radio protocols, but in the upper layers with a lot of
complex data shuffling it might be usefull? Any ideas?

Gr. Sim