Some Questions about Simtrace

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 13 23:12:52 UTC 2016

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 08:08:41PM +0100, ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info wrote:
> AFAIR the wireshark dissector only knows about the SIM RUN GSM
> ALGORITHM APDU format (with Kc), but not the USIM AUTHENTICATE APDU
> format (with CK and IK).

yes, this is true. I can only re-iterate that Osmocom SIMtrace, just
like wreshark, are community-based collaborative Free Software
development projects, and they will always only support whatever
somebody decides to contribute in terms of code.

Every user would be more than happy if somebody implemented dissection
of USIM/UICC, or even dissection of the actual EF content [which is of
course different for each EF].

The existing GSM SIM dissector was the minimal posible useful set that I
could implement at the time.  Unfortuantely, nobody seems to have
followed up in all those years, except for Pascal Quentin with some much
appreciated SIM Toolkit related work.

So everyone at that list: Each time you see something missing, please
take some time to implement it.  Only that way collaborative software
development projects are stustainable.  Thanks for your understanding.

Kevin and I certainly did our part to get SIMtrace off the ground many
years ago in terms of hardware, firmware and the existing application
code / wiershark code.  If you're reading this: Now it's your turn,
pleaes help make the project better and more complete.  Thanks!