T=0 and T=1 sniffer

Kevin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Wed Nov 14 09:19:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

Excerpts from Roger Jardi Cedó's message of Tue Nov 13 23:40:48 +0100 2012:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry, I wanted to refer to ISO 7816-3 smart card (T=0 and T=1) like Java Card.
>
> > no, not any. It only supports T=0 and T=1 (with few adjustments).
> > This protocols are defined in IEC/ISO-7816 part 3.
> > Other Smart cards can use other protocols (I2C, SPI, …). It may
> > be possible to be compatible with it, but these are not
> > supported by the software.
>
> So, what kind of adjustments are these? Could you please detail them?

I don't know exactly, as I never tested.
The hardware is fully compatible.
T=0 and T=1 are quite similar, and I don't know if any adjustment is required on the firmware.
Maybe the firmware only needs to tell the micro-controller to switch to T=1, and then it works flawlessly.
Harald Welte would be able to answer this question in more details, but he is not online before next week.

Does your smart card not support T=0, or is the communication you want to sniff using T=1?
AFAIK T=0 is the most used and supported protocol. T=1 is mainly if you want to have "high speed" communication.

kevin