SIMtrace v0.6 schema

Kevin Redon kevredon at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Sun May 8 11:40:46 UTC 2011

Thanks for the fast analysis

> 2) It might be an idea to use a 2.5mm jack (like Compal phones) for the
>    DBGU, instead of the FTDI-6pin-header.  I guess more people in and
>    around the Osmocom projects have a T191 cable than a FT232 cable with
>    the 6-pin header.  What do the others think?

I would choose jack 2.5 only, but I will put both.

> 3) It might be nice to have an ADC input connected to the VCC_OUT line,
>    to be able to measure the SIM card supply voltage as it is output
>    by the phone.  ADCREF of course would have to be connected, too.

I will add it.

> 4) It is generally good 'style' to connect the nWP to some I/O line of
>    the CPU (together with a pull-down).

ack

> 5) I think the IN/OUT naming is a bit misleading.  E.g. "VCC_OUT" is the
>    source of the VCC power, i.e. the phone.  It may be better to call
>    the signals leading to the phone {VPP,I/O,CLK,RST,VCC}_PHONE and the
>    signals leading to the sim {VPP,I/O,CLK,RST,VCC}_SIM

ack

> 6) The USB pull-up mechanism is missing.  This is required for properly
>    signalling a USB bus reset to the host controller.  Please refer to
>    the OpenPCD schematics for an example circuit.  It just requires one
>    transistor and some resistors.  It has also proven useful to connect
>    the nRESET to that pull-up circuit to make sure a cpu-reset leads to
>    a bus reset as well.
>
> 7) A 5.6V Zener diode makes sense as over-voltage protection at the USB
>    5V power supply line

I will have a look for it

> 8) The two 47uF capacitors at the 3.3V line and the 22uF capacitor at
>    the 5V line might be above the USB specifications for capacitive
>    load.  See Section 7.2.4.1 of the USB spec, where I believe it says
>    you can only put a cumulative capacitance of 10uF at the downstream
>    end of a Vbus.  We might ignore that, or use something like a
>    LM3525 (or even a TI TPS2151 which is a LDO with built-in in-rush
>    current limiter).  OpenPCD1 v0.4 is not being sold anymore exactly
>    due to this problem.

didn't know than, I will change the ld1117 with a tps73633 (less
expensive then TPS2151, and fits perfectly).
I don't understand why the capacitor at the 3.3v line affect USB, but I
will minimize it.

> 9) I would only use a jumper for the TEST singal, as we probably only
>    need it very rarely during sam7dfu testing/porting.  After that, we
>    will use USB DFU for updates

ack

> 10) However, it is useful to have a push-button for DFU-mode activation,
>     this is a simple switch between Vcc and a GPIO.  Normally, DFU is
>     activated over USB itself.  However, if the firmware is dead, this
>     BOOTLOADER switch can help with recovery (once again, see OpenPCD)

I will take the openPCD design

> Regards,
> 	Harald

WiP,