DWM-222 rev A2

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Tue Oct 30 08:43:41 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I have purchased a DLink DWM-222 with the intention of exploring the
Linux OS running inside it, and if possible, compiling some additional
USB gadgets to use with it.

FWIW, the USB ID's are 2001:ac01 before modeswitch, and 2001:7e3d
after switching.

It creates ttyUSB[0-4] when switched, and the VID:PID added to the
option driver.

I was wondering if there had been any further developments in the
exploration of the A1 hardware or firmware, in terms of gaining a
shell on the device at all without soldering?

Some initial probing has shown some 1.8v signals on some of the test
points, so I will check those with a scope while booting to see if I
can identify some waveforms, hopefully indicating a UART. I do have a
FTDI UART with a voltage reference, so I am fairly confident that I
can access those signals without damaging the device once identified.

Unfortunately, the updated hardware has complete shields over the
interesting bits, so I cannot identify chips, etc. I have also not
been able to find firmware for the A2, the only firmware I could find
was at ftp://ftp.d-link.co.za/DWM/dwm222/Firmware/, marked as A1. I'll
check to see if they are compatible. And of course, will be copying
the driver software from the embedded CDROM.

Regards,

Rogan