Quectel EC20 question

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jan 10 02:03:37 UTC 2017

Hi Petr,

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 08:57:51PM +0100, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> according to a lot of sources one would think, that EC20 is based around the
> Qualcomm MDM9615, but the picture of naked EC20[1] clearly shows, that there
> is Qualcomm MDM9215 chip soldered on the board. Which source is true? :-) Or
> it's just a wrong text on that BGA?

I think it is simply the fact that (at least) for the Linux on the Cortex-A5 it
doesn't make any difference whether it's running on a 9615 or a 9215.
The difference is presumably primarily in the cellular radio interface
and possibly DSP capacity?  From the few publicly available information
the 9615 adds Ev-DO (3GPP2) capability, while the 9215 is GSM/UMTS/LTE
(3GPP) only?

btw: I just created a new mailing list for any future public discussion
on the Qualcomm Linux based cellular modems, see
qc-linux-modems at lists.osmocom.org and/or