No supported tuner found

Gabor Mikes gabor at little-bit.com
Tue Sep 19 12:41:33 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I recently purchased a couple of DVB-sticks on Amazon, titled:

"RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. Great SDR
for SDR#, HDSD"

I got "No supported tuner found" when running the rtl_test command. I
see others have had the same issue, so when I finally figured it out, I
thought some of you might be interested.

First of all, this stick has a FC0012 tuner despite the title. Secondly
this stick is obliviously wired differently than other sticks with
FC0012 because it needs different gpio settings. I added a few lines to
the rtlsdr_open() function in librtlsdr.c, just before probing for FCxxx:

     /* initialise GPIOs */
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_output(dev, 0);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_output(dev, 3);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_output(dev, 4);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_output(dev, 5);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_output(dev, 6);

     rtlsdr_set_gpio_bit(dev, 3, 1);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_bit(dev, 4, 0);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_bit(dev, 6, 0);

     /* reset tuner before probing */
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_bit(dev, 5, 1);
     rtlsdr_set_gpio_bit(dev, 5, 0);

With this modification the tuner comes a live and everything works.

Kindest regards,
Gabor Mikes