Error "No E4000 tuner found" on rtl_test -t

Martin McGlensey mmcg29440 at frontier.com
Tue Feb 7 21:05:03 UTC 2017

Hello,

I recently purchased a NooElec nesdr mini dongle.  I want to install it on
Linux Mint 17.1. I have rtl-sdr installed. I have blacklisted the
dvb_usb_rtl28xxu driver. When I run rtl_test it reports that the dongle is
present and sending. When I run rtl_sdr -t to check the tuning range it
reports no E4000 tuner found.

Called NooElec for tech support. Got link for linux install but got error
"page not found". Tried to get on their mailing list from their IE page. Bad
gateway error 502. Looks like support may be difficult to get through
NooElec.

Does this error indicate a defective rtl dongle? Where can I find the
install procedure for the NooElec R820T NESDR mini. All responses are
appreciated.

Thank you,

Marty, N3MOW

N3mow at arrl.net <mailto:N3mow at arrl.net>  mmcg29440 at frontier.net