rtl_fm Squelch Questions

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Fri Feb 10 23:17:18 UTC 2017

Hi Martin,

I'll just address the question /what does the rtl_fm squelch do?/ very
shortly: from rtl_fm.c

	/* power squelch */
	if (d->squelch_level) {
		sr = rms(d->lowpassed, d->lp_len, 1);
		if (sr < d->squelch_level) {
			d->squelch_hits++;
			for (i=0; i<d->lp_len; i++) {
				d->lowpassed[i] = 0;
			}
		} else {
			d->squelch_hits = 0;}
	}

The signal enters the squelch after being low-pass filtered, then the
RMS (basically, the power) is calculated and saved in ´sr´; if that is
below the squelch threshold, the signal is zeroed out. If it's above,
the signal passes to the next state. The squelch_hits just implement
kind of a hysteresis.

So, yeah, a couple lines below:

    /* todo, fm noise squelch */

:) Soooo, maybe you'd want todo that?

CTCSS might be so low in frequency that their instantaneous amplitude
might be sensed as energy or not, depending on how close they are to the
LO (might get killed by the DC block).

So, basically, the squelch is only sensitive to power.

Best regards,
Marcus