RTL-SDR Power Consumption

Art ky1k at myfairpoint.net
Mon Feb 6 22:25:47 UTC 2017

Hi Ricardo,

My guess is that it's power supply is a linear type, necessary due to
the radio frequency hash that would appear as noise if a higher
efficiency switching supply is used. So, the dongle has to dissipate
3.3 times 118 milliwatts (389.4milliwatts) instead of 118 milliwatts.
The point is that 66.6 percent of the 'heat' you feel is not coming from
the chip itself!

As far as a practical solution, you can build a switching supply and
build it in the cable run between the punchbox and the unit. You can't
locate them extremely close to each other if a switching supply is used.

Or, you can locate the linear power supply very close to (but not inside
of) the enclosure for the chip. Today, linear power supplies can almost
fit on the head of a pin, provided that the amount of power they
dissipate is low.

With radio questions related to SDR, check out the softrock mailing list
on yahoo where you will find many hams, who have extensive exposure to
radio communication and with SDR.

GL, I hope to get one of these little beauties someday soon, and I hope
that someone is working on the companion SDR based transmitter, that
generates an rf output from an audio input....basically doing the
reverse of what the SDR receiver does.

Regards.

Art

A switching supply could be made outboard from the