rtl_tcp device index, udev and symlink

Tim Forrester tim.forrester at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:31:45 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

new member here, but been playing with rtl dongles and sdr generally for a
while now.

I run four rtl dongles covering 50, 70, 144 and 432MHz with websdr running
on Ubuntu Mate

Works quite well but I have trouble with the device indexing changing for
rtl_tcp. ie sometimes a dongle gets allocated to a different band.

To try and fix the issue I've given each dongle a unique serial number and
created some udev rules which create symlinks for each dongle. That all
works nicely.

Problem is that rtl_tcp uses device indexing starting at D0 and expects D1,
D2 D3 etc. whereas my symlinks are called 6mtrs, 4mtrs, 2mtrs and 70cms

Not sure how to make rtl_tcp work with symlink's rather than device index.

Any ideas ?

Regards Tim G4WIM