post a new release

A. Maitland Bottoms bottoms at debian.org
Tue Mar 1 05:50:07 UTC 2016

Henk writes:
 > Oeps, sorry forgot to quote the original post of joseph.
 >
 > +1
 > Hmm in my opinion rtl_sdr is the next best thing since the invention
 > of canned beer :) since it liberated the airwaves for allot of users.
 >
 > Regards,
 > henk
 >
 > On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Joseph Poirier <jdpoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > If would be nice to have a newer official release available; installation
 > > using the package manager on many Linux distros gets a two year old
 > > librtlsdr that's missing the rtlsdr_set_tuner_bandwidth function (added
 > > about nine months ago), as well as, other nice updates and fixes.
 > >
 > > cheers,
 > > joe

Oh yes, Debian Jessie did not release with rtlsdr bandwidth setting code.
But, the rtl-sdr currently available in Debian unstable, testing and
jessie-backports include current git HEAD code - v0.5.3-12-ge3c03f7.
(based upon git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git)

So, while the Debian source package starts from the v0.5.3 tag, I use
the 3.0 (quilt) source format to also include more recent git commits.
https://sources.debian.net/src/rtl-sdr/0.5.3-5/debian/patches/

Ubuntu Wily Werewolf and Xenial Xerus also contain rtl-sdr based on
v0.5.3-12-ge3c03f7.

A release would be good. I'd be happy to reduce the amount of stuff
in the debian/ packaging directory - the various man pages could
be adopted upstream, as well as the improve-librtlsdr-pc-file and
improve-scanning-range-parsing patches.

And a gpg signed tarball release, or even just a gpg signed tag
would be a help in establishing source code integrity. A new release
for osmocom might indeed help synchronize the various distributions.

Thanks for keeping me informed,
-Maitland