Just Getting Started with the SDR Dongles.

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Fri Dec 30 18:20:01 UTC 2016

	Here are some real beginner questions that I would like
to have a better understanding of concerning SDR in general and
the rtl dongles:

	I understand that the I and Q signals are both 8-bit
numbers so each one can have 2^8 possible levels. Is the in-phase
value related to the amplitude of the signal such that frequency
variations within the pass band don't change it much?

	Is the Q or Quadrature value something that varies with
whether or not the frequency is higher or lower than the center
frequency set in to the device?

	I could imagine that if the Q value responds to changes
in frequency that one could get the effect of a discriminator
circuit.
	I bought a couple of the rtl dongles and tried out the
rtl-fm program to receive local FM signals and it worked quite
well.

	Finally, what determines the pass-band? It did seem to
get smaller if I tried a 12,000 HZ sample rate. I also was
surprised at how accurate the frequency is.

	Other than the fact that I am at the low end of the
learning curve, I see all kinds of possibilities.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ