Fwd: Development of rtl-sdr driver

Piotr Krysik ptrkrysik at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:14:30 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I've send the e-mail to the OpenBSC list before, but as I was informed
by Harald this is the right place for such discussions. So I'm resending
it here.

The osmocom's version of rtl-sdr driver seems to be the main one.
Osmocom's repository is used by distributions to build rtl-sdr packages
and it is source of the code for compilation with use of GNU Radio's
Pybombs.

Is there someone in the Osmocom who is maintaining it? There were some
important developments regarding this driver and it would be great to
add these patches in the Osmocom's repo.

For example one that interests me is turning off dithering so multiple
dongles sharing the same clock generate the same LO frequency. Currently
there is always little frequency offset that makes coherent of the
receivers operation much harder.

Such changes of course have to be done carefully so nothing gets broken
in the process. In case of turning off dithering it results with worse
tuning granularity, so for example turning it off could be made optional.

--
Best Regards,
Piotr Krysik